WOW is looking for dynamic movers and confident performers to attend our open auditions!
Do you want to play a part in the 2021 World of WearableArt Awards Show? We are seeking applicants of all nationalities, genders, and levels of experience to come along to our model/performers audition on Saturday, 22 May in Wellington.
Being involved in the WOW Awards Show is exciting and rewarding – an achievement you can be proud of. You will make new friends, extend your creative skills and have loads of fun along the way.
You will also have the privilege of wearing cutting-edge garments made by some of the most creative art and fashion minds from New Zealand and around the world. Some of our talented designers have worked for the likes of Madonna, Kylie Jenner, Lady Gaga, Jessie J, and the Black Eyed Peas.
It is very easy to apply, all you need to do is turn up on the day and register. You don’t need to have any previous modelling experience to attend. Hear what some of our previous models had to say about their experiences performing with WOW in the video below.
Video courtesy of WellingtonNZ
Date: Saturday 22nd May
Venue: Te Whaea NZ National Dance & Drama Centre, 11 Hutchinson Road, Wellington
Time: Registration is 12:00 – 12:45pm, with auditions at 1:00 – 3:30pm.
Please note: You must attend the registration to be considered for the auditions.
We have put together some frequently asked questions and helpful information for anyone thinking of auditioning or interested in learning more. Continue reading below!
WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR IN A MODEL/PERFORMER?
- Minimum height: For Models identifying as Female – 170cm | For Models identifying as Male – 178cm. Those identifying as non-binary must meet one of these criteria
- You do not need any previous experience in modelling
- Model/performer age requirement is 16 years and over
- You must be able to commit to ALL rehearsals
- Be confident in front of large groups of people, performing in front of television cameras and photographers
- Able to take instruction from choreographers, directors, and photographers
- Dance experience is an advantage but not essential
- The number of models/performers changes each year depending on the amount of garment entries received and the show requirements
DO I HAVE TO APPLY, OR CAN I JUST TURN UP TO THE AUDITION?
There is no need to apply, just turn up on the day of the audition.
I HAVE NO MODELLING EXPERIENCE, CAN I STILL AUDITION?
ARE PEOPLE FROM OUT OF WELLINGTON ABLE TO AUDITION FOR THE WORLD OF WEARABLEART AWARDS SHOW?
Yes, but you must be able to commit to living in Wellington for our full rehearsal and show period. No accommodation is provided.
COULD YOU GIVE ME SOME INFORMATION ABOUT WHAT MAY BE EXPECTED OF ME AT THE MODEL/PERFORMER AUDITION, AND IF YOU HAVE ANY TIPS TO HELP ME PREPARE FOR THIS?
- Those auditioning for a Female Model/performer role need to bring high heels and flat shoes
- If you have long hair it must be pulled back off your face
- Models/performers will learn a short dance routine and perform this as part of a large and small group
- It will be an advantage if you feel confident performing and understand the basics of rhythm
WHAT ABOUT DANCERS?
All specific dance and performer roles have now been filled for this year’s Show, but dancers/performers will be cast as models/performers, so we encourage you to attend the model/performer audition, so long as you meet the minimum height and age requirement.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I AM SELECTED IN THE MAY AUDITION?
If you are selected in the May audition you will then be invited to the second round of auditions held in July. In this round of auditions, we also invite past WOW models to audition.
At the end of the July audition, we will select a smaller group of models to stay and participate in a workshop. The final selected group of models will be asked to attend fittings in August. It is likely all models who attend the fittings will be allocated garments, but we cannot guarantee this.
IF SELECTED AS A MODEL/PERFORMER, WILL I BE PAID?
Yes, this is a paid role. Payment level is determined through a tiered structure. The tiers are based on the following mix of criteria,
- previous experience,
- the sections you are cast in,
- the number of garments you are selected to wear, which is determined by garment fit and model/performer movement capability.
Tier 1 receives a fee of NZ$3,300 (gross of taxes) for the Show season; this covers rehearsal and performance calls. This is the minimum that any model who appears in the Show will receive.
Tier 4 receives a fee of NZ$6,000 (gross of taxes) for the Show season. This is the maximum that any model appearing in the Show will receive.
IF SELECTED AS A MODEL/PERFORMER, HOW MUCH TIME AM I COMMITTING TO?
There are six sections in the Show. Each section is rehearsed on different days of the week and you will be called in only for the sections you are cast in. Most models/performers are required 3-4 evenings and 1-2 weekend days.
Rehearsals start the second week in August and continue through until the Show opens on Wednesday 29th September – Sunday 17th October 2021. 100% commitment to all rehearsals and Shows is absolutely essential.
Rehearsals generally run Monday to Thursday evenings 5:45pm – 10:30pm and Saturday and Sundays 10am-6pm, rehearsal venue is in the CBD.
IS THERE A CHILDREN’S AUDITION?
Not for the 2021 show.
HAVE A QUESTION THAT ISN'T ANSWERED?
For further enquiries please contact Garment Operations & Logistics Manager, Leonie: email@example.com